Chicken – 1.5 kg
Sticky Rice – 1 3/4 cups
Coconut Cream – 1/2 cup
Chicken Stock Powder – 2 tsp
Black Mushrooms – 4, dried, soaked in hot water for 30 minutes
Dried Shrimp – 2 tblsp, soaked in hot water for 25 minutes
Spring Onions – 2, chopped
Bamboo Shoots or Water Chestnuts – 1/4 cup, chopped
Roasted Peanuts – 1/4 cup, chopped
Chinese Sausage – 1, finely sliced
Salt as per taste
Ground Black Pepper
Lemon – 1/2
Bamboo Skewers – soaked for 30 minutes
Oil – 3 cups
1. With a small knife, slit along the length of the chicken’s backbone and then debone by scraping the meat from the bones, until all that remains are the leg bones and the middle and lower bones in the wings.
2. Carefully scrape the meat halfway down the leg bones and chop off the bones in the middle.
3. Season the boned chicken with salt and set aside.
4. Strain and reserve the water used to soak mushrooms and shrimp to make 1 1/2 cups.
5. In a pan, mix the rice, coconut cream, reserved mushrooms and shrimp liquid, chicken stock powder, the mushrooms, finely diced and the soaked dried shrimp.
6. Bring to a boil, cover tightly, reduce heat to very low and simmer, covered for about 20 minutes.
7. Add the spring onions, bamboo shoots, peanuts and sausage.
8. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
9. Bring the cut edges of the chicken together and secure with bamboo skewers.
10. Stuff with the rice mixture, shaping the chicken to its original form by gently easing the filling into the drumstick and breast cavities.
11. Season the chicken with the cut lemon and salt.
12. Pat dry with paper towel.
13. Heat the oil in a clean, dry pan over medium high heat.
14. When the oil is hot, add the chicken and cook until browned and cooked through, about 12 minutes, carefully turning several times and basting with the hot oil.
15. Cut into slices to serve.