Chicken Legs – 8, with the skin
Vegetable Oil – 3 tblsp
Onions – 3, small, sliced
Garlic – 3 cloves, peeled
Lemongrass – 1 thick stem, trimmed and finely sliced
Red Chillies – 2, medium, deseeded and cut in half
Fish Sauce – 2 tblsp
Caramel Sauce – 2 tblsp
Salt as per taste
Black Pepper as per taste, ground
1. Rinse, drain and dry the chicken legs.
2. Make several deep cuts in the thickest part of the meat.
3. Heat half the oil in a pan.
4. Saute the onions over high heat until lightly browned.
5. Add the garlic, lemongrass and chilli.
6. Saute briefly.
7. Remove and transfer to a plate.
8. Reheat the pan and add the remaining oil.
9. Brown the chicken legs for about 5 minutes, turning frequently.
10. Return the onion mixure and add the fish and caramel sauces along with 1 cup of water.
11. Bring to the boil, cover and reduce to a simmer.
12. Cook the chicken until tender for about 35 minutes, turning frequently.
13. Add salt and pepper to taste.