Any firm-fleshed Fish Fillets – 350 gms, sliced (preferably Catfish)
Ginger – 1/4 inch piece, peeled, grated
Coriander Leaves – handful, chopped
Oil – 1 tblsp
For the caramel sauce:
Sugar – 1/3 cup
Fish Sauce – 1/4 cup
Small Onions – 4, finely sliced
Black Pepper Powder – 1/4 tsp
1. Heat sugar in a pan over low flame.
2. Keep stirring regularly till it begins to melt, about 3 to 4 minutes.
3. Remove the pan from the flame and add fish sauce.
4. Place the pan over the flame and bring to a boil.
5. Simmer for 2 to 3 minutes, stirring all the time until it becomes a thick syrup.
6. Add the small onions and pepper powder.
7. Mix well and keep aside.
8. In a separate pan, heat oil over medium flame.
9. Add the fish fillets and fry for 2 minutes.
10. Add the ginger and caramel sauce.
11. Bring to a boil.
12. Reduce flame to low and simmer for 5 more minutes.
13. Remove and transfer to a serving plate.
14. Garnish with coriander leaves.
15. Serve hot with rice.