Erissery is one of the popular and traditional recipes of Kerala. It is an important dish on the Onam Sadhya menu. Mathanga Erissery / Pumpkin Erissery is made using pumpkin and coconut. The dish can be served as a side dish or with steamed rice.
- Pumpkin – 1/4 kg
- Green Chillies – 3
- Cumin Seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Coconut – 1/4 cup, Grated
- Turmeric Powder – 1/2 tsp
- Salt to Taste
- Oil – 1 tblsp
- Mustard Seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Red Chillies – 2
- Fenugreek Seeds – 1/4 tsp
- Grated Coconut – 2 tsp
- Shallots – 6, Finely Chopped
- Peel the outer skin of the pumpkin and chop them finely.
- Add salt, two green chillies, turmeric powder and required water to boil the pumpkin.
- when boiled, mash the pumpkin thoroughly.
- Grind the remaining green chillies, grated coconut and cumin seeds to a smooth paste.
- Add this paste to the boiled pumpkin.
- Cook until the gravy is thick.
- Heat a pan under medium flame.
- Add the mustard seeds, fenugreek seeds, red chillies and temper it.
- Add the shallots and fry them.
- Add the grated coconut and cook till it turns golden brown.
- Add this mixture to the pumpkin gravy and mix well.
- Serve with steamed rice.
Receive the latest recipes & kitchen tips !