Husked Black Beans (Dhuli Urad Dal) – 250 gms
Bicarbonate of Soda – 1/2 tsp
Asafoetida – a pinch
Ginger – 2 inch piece, finely chopped
Green Chillies – 2, finely chopped
Mint Leaves – 2 tsp, finely chopped
Sultanas – 2 tblsp
Ghee – 500 gms, for frying
Curd – 4 cups
Cumin Seeds – 2 tsp, roasted and ground
Red Chilli – 1/4 tsp, powdered
Salt – 1 tsp
Cumin Seeds – roasted and powdered
Red Chilli – powdered
1. To make the gujiyas, Soak dal in cold water for 10 hours.
2. Drain and grind in a fine paste.
3. Mix in soda and asafoetida.
4. Whip the mixture till fluffy.
5. Mix the ginger, chillies, mint and sultanas.
6. Keep aside.
7. Heat ghee in a pan.
8. Stretch a moistened piece of muslin over rim of a glass.
9. Using wet hands make small balls of the mixture and flatten lightly on a muslin.
10. Put a small amount of ginger mixture in the centre.
11. Fold over to make a semi-circle, using the muslin.
12. Gently press edges to enclose filling.
13. Using a wet knife slide the guijiya carefully into hot ghee and fry till pale gold.
14. Make the remaining in the same way.
15. Put the fried gujiyas into a bowl of warm, salted water and leave it for 10 minutes.
16. For Dahi, whip curd and add cumin, chilli and salt.
17. Gently squeeze gujiyas to extract excess water and arrange in a shallow dish.
18. Pour over seasoned curd to cover the gujiyas.
19. Garnish with powdered cumin and red chillies.
20. Serve chilled.