Raw Mangoes – 12
Rock Salt – 1 1/2 cups
Carrot – 1/4 kg
Refined Oil – 2 litres and 1 cup
Garlic – 4 whole, peeled
For the Masala Powder:
Dried Red Chillies – 500 gms
Mustard Seeds – 2 cups
Black Peppercorns – 2 tblsp
Fenugreek Seeds – 1/2 tblsp
Coriander Seeds – 2 tblsp
1. Wash the mangoes and dry them thoroughly.
2. Cut the mangoes into 8 pieces each and discard the seeds.
3. Put the mangoes in a jar with the rock salt.
4. Close the jar and keep it asdie till next day.
5. Coarsely crush the masala powder ingredients.
6. Drain the mangoes and set aside.
7. Peel the carrots and cut them into 2 inch long sticks.
8. Wipe dry.
9. Heat 2 litres of oil in a pan till smoking.
10. Remove from heat and cool it a little.
11. Return the pan to moderate heat.
12. Add the garlic and masala powder and fry till it turns light brown.
13. Remove the pan from the heat and let it cool to room temperature.
14. Mix well and add the drained mango pieces and carrots.
15. Mix the mango and carrots with the spices till they have blended together and spices have been absorbed by the mango and carrot pieces.
16. Heat 1 cup of oil till smoking.
17. Remove from heat and keep aside till it attains room temperature.
18. Pour it into a clean, dry jar.
19. Transfer the mangoes and carrots into the jar.
20. Pour the remaining oil on top.
21. Close the jar with a lid.
22. Tie a piece of cloth around the neck of the jar to cover the lid.
23. Stir the pickle from time to time.
24. Wipe the sides of the jar clean.
25 The pickle is ready to eat after 7 days and will last for a year.
26. Always use a dry spoon while using.