Whole Green Gram – 1 cup
Onions – 6
Green Chillies – 3
Tamarind – small lemon sized and soaked in little water
Oil – 1 tblsp
Dhania Powder – 2 tsp
Jeera Powder – 1/2 tsp
Red Chilli Powder – 1/2 tsp
Salt as required
1. Soak green gram for 10 to 12 hours in water.
2. Strain and tie it in a muslin cloth.
3. Allow it to sprout for one day.
4. Cut the onions finely.
5. Slit green chillies.
6. Prepare thick tamarind pulp from the soaked tamarind.
7. Heat oil.
8. Fry onions and chillies till light brown in colour.
9. Add sprouted gram and sprinkle water.
10. Close with a lid and keep in a low flame till the gram is cooked.
11. Pour the tamarind extract, salt, dhania powder, jeera powder, red chilli powder and salt. Cook.
12. Garnish with finely cut onions, coriander leaves and fine sev.
13. Serve as a chaat or as a side dish for rotis.