Tomato Pulao is a quick, delicious and tasty dish loved by kids and adults. It is a versatile dish that i can be packed for school or office lunch, served as an evening snack or even as a simple dinner dish. Serve this yummy Tomato Pulao with onion raita and/or papads.
Tomato Pulao Recipe
Ingredients for Tomato Pulao
- 2 cup Basmati Rice soaked for 30 minutes in 4 cups of water, drained
- 300 gms Tomatoes - 300 gms
- 1/4 cup Coconut Milk optional
- 1 Big Onion
- 3 tblsp Ghee
- 1 inch Ginger
- 5 Green Chillies
- 5 Garlic Cloves
- 10 Cashew Nuts - 10 fried
- 1 inch Cinnamon
- 3 Cloves
- 2 Cardamoms
- 1 Bay Leaf
- Salt as per taste
- handful Coriander Leaves
How to make Tomato Pulao
- Heat a pan of water over medium flame and bring to a boil.
- Add the tomatoes and keep aside for a few minutes.
- Peel the skins and grind the flesh to a puree.
- Combine the tomato puree and coconut milk (if using). Add enough water to make it 4 cups.
- Grind together the chopped onions, ginger, garlic, green chillies and some coriander leaves.
- Add this to the rice.
- Heat ghee in a pressure cooker and add the rice mixture.
- Saute for a minute and add the tomato paste.
- Add 1 or 2 cups of water if desired. The water in the rice and tomato paste should be sufficient. If not, add some water.
- Pressure cook until 2 whistles.
- Garnish with coriander leaves and fried cashew nuts.
- Serve with onion raita and papads.