Dried Dates – 100 gms, finely chopped
Raisins – 3 cups
Dried Apricots – 300 gms
Sugar – 2 kg
Carrots – 2 kg, grated
Jaggery – 250gm
Vinegar – 3 3/4 cups
Ginger – 50 gms, julienned
Garlic – 100 gms, sliced
Salt to taste
Dry Red Chillies – 15
Garam Masala – 2 tbsp
1. Soak the dates, raisins, and apricots overnight in 1 cup sugar and as much vinegar as necessary.
2. In a heavy bottomed pan, cook the carrots, the remaining sugar, jaggery and 500ml of vinegar over low heat.
3. When soft, add ginger, garlic and salt.
4. Cook till the mixture becomes a sticky syrup.
5. Add the dates, raisins and apricot mixture.
6. Bring to the boil.
7. Add the dry red chillies and garam masala.
8. Remove the pan from the heat.
9. Keep aside to cool and store in airtight jars.
10. This pickle can be preserved for several years if handled properly and kept in a cool, dark place.
Receive the latest recipes & kitchen tips !