Chana Dal – 1/2 cup
Dried Red Chillies – 2 to 3
Fennel Seeds – 1/2 tsp
Cumin Seeds – 1 tsp
Onions – 1 cup, finely chopped
Green Chillies – 2, chopped
Fresh Green Beans – 3 cups, topped, tailed and diced
Salt – 1 tsp
Fresh Coconut – 1/4 cup, grated
Oil – 3 tblsp
Curry Leaves – 4
Black Mustard Seeds – 1 tsp
Urad Dal – 2 tsp
1. Wash the chana dal and soak in hot water for 30 minutes.
2. Drain water completely.
3. Grind the dal with red chillies, fennel seeds and cumin seeds.
4. Gradually add a little water at a time to make a coarse mix.
5. Steam the ground dal for 5 minutes.
6. Put the oil in a frying pan over medium heat.
7. When the oil is hot add curry leaves, black mustard seeds and urad dal.
8. Fry over medium heat, till mustard seeds splutter and urad dal is golden, for about 30 seconds.
9. Add onions and green chillies to the pan and stir-fry for a minute.
10. Add the steamed dal.
11. Stir to blend well.
12. Cook over medium heat, stirring frequently, till the dal is golden brown and grainy in texture for about 4 minutes. Add a little oil if it sticks to the bottom of the pan.
13. Add the beans and salt.
14. Blend well.
15. Cover and cook over low heat, stirring frequently, till beans are tender for about 6-7 minutes.
16. Remove from heat.
17. Sprinkle coconut over beans and stir well.
18. Cover and keep warm till serving time.