Tomatoes – 1/2 kg, ripe, cut into 8 pieces
Mustard Oil – 4 tbsp
Fenugreek Seeds – 1/2 tsp
Jimmu, Optional – 1/2 tsp
Dry Red Chillies – 2, halved, deseeded
Garlic – 2 tsp, chopped
Ginger – 2 tsp, julienned
Turmeric Powder – 1/2 tsp
Salt to taste
Cumin Seeds – 1 tsp, dry roasted, powdered
Red Chilli Powder – 1/2 tsp
1. Heat the oil until smoking hot.
2. Lower the heat and temper with fenugreek seeds, jimmu and dry red chillies.
3. When the chillies turn brown, add the ginger and garlic.
4. Once the garlic browns a little, add the tomatoes, turmeric powder and salt.
5. Cook over a high flame, stirring continuously, till the liquid gets absorbed.
6. Add the cumin seeds and red chilli powder.
7. Stir occasionally and cook till the liquid dries and the oil separates.
8. Transfer into a jar and keep aside to cool.
9. This can be refrigerated for up to one week.