Saffron – 1/2 tsp
Full Cream Milk – 1 1/2 cups
Lemon Juice – 4 tbsp
Sugar – 1/2 cup, powdered
1. Roast the saffron in a dry pan and pound to a fine powder.
2. Dissolve in 2 tbsp of hot milk. Keep aside.
3. Heat the full cream milk in a pan over a high heat.
4. Bring to a frothing boil, stirring continuously.
5. Reduce the heat and add the lemon juice to curdle the milk.
6. If the milk does not curdle, then add 1 more tbsp of lemon juice.
7. Remove from the heat and set aside to cool.
8. Pour the cheese-whey mixture into a moist cheesecloth.
9. Pick up the cheesecloth by its corners, twist it loosely just to seal the cheese inside and rinse under the tap for a few minutes.
10. Hang the cloth for 20 to 30 minutes to allow the excess water to drain.
11. Remove the cheese on a clean work surface and crumble till it becomes fluffy and even.
12. Blend in the sugar and knead till smooth and grainless.
13. Transfer the cheese-sugar mixture to a heavy bottomed pan.
14. Cook for 10 to 15 minutes until the mixture becomes a little thick and glossy.
15. Divide the mixture into two portions.
16. Mix the dissolved saffron into one portion till it turns yellow.
17. Divide the yellow cottage cheese mixture into 2 portions again.
18. Spread three alternate layers of yellow, white and yellow mixture on a buttered tray to form a 2 inch thick cake.
19. Keep aside to cool and then cut into 1 1/2 inch thick squares.
20. Arrange on a platter and serve.