Whole Wheat Flour – 5 cups
Salt to taste
Vegetable Oil – 2 tbsp
For the Stuffing:
Whole Black Gram – 1 cup, soaked overnight, drained
Asafoetida – a pinch
Fennel Seeds – 1 tbsp pounded
Coriander Seeds – 4 tsp, crushed
Red chilli Powder – 1 tsp
Vegetable Oil for frying
1. Sift the flour and salt.
2. Mix in the oil and knead with enough water to make a smooth dough.
3. For the stuffing, remove the skin of the black gram by rubbing between your palms.
4. Grind the black gram with all the spices to a coarse, sticky paste.
5. Divide the flour dough equally into 20 balls, flatten each ball, grease the top surface and add 1 filling.
6. Make a ball and roll each out to a 3” disc. Repeat with the other balls.
7. Heat the oil in a kadai, deep fry the discs, on low heat, till golden on both sides.
8. Remove and drain. Before serving, fry the puffs again till crisp.
9. Serve hot.