Gulab Jamun is one of the most popular dessert throughout India. Often served during festivals and special occasions, they are made using khoya and flour, then shaped into small balls which are deep-fried and soaked in a sugar syrup.
No Indian wedding meal is complete without this iconic dessert. It is one dish that needs no introduction whatsoever. They are delicious and is often called as Indian fried doughnut.
Gulab Jamun Recipe
Ingredients for Gulab Jamun
- 2 cup Maida
- 2 cup Unsweetened Khoya
- 4 cup Sugar
- 1 1/4 tblsp Ghee
- a pinch Cooking Soda
- as required Ghee
- as required Milk
How to make Gulab Jamun
- Combine the maida, khoya, ghee and cooking soda in a bowl.
- Mix well without any lumps.
- If required, add a little milk and mix.
- Keep aside for 60 to 90 minutes.
- Make small balls of the mixture and keep them on a plate.
- Add sugar to a pan and place it over medium flame.
- Add enough water (until all sugar has submerged) and stir well.
- When the sugar has fully dissolved and it reaches a one string consistency, switch off the flame.
- Heat ghee in a frying pan.
- Deep fry the prepared balls until golden brown.
- Remove and put them into the sugar syrup.
- Allow it to soak for 6 to 8 hours (or overnight) before serving.
- Serve chilled.
This recipe was first published on Oct 23, 2007. It has been updated on Nov 09, 2020.