Pongal is a traditional and popular breakfast dish across South India especially in TamilNadu. With the Pongal festival coming up in a few days, what better way than to taste one of the variations to this staple dish.
Samba Wheat Rava – 1 cup
Green Gram Dal – 1/2 cup
Broken Cashewnuts – 10
Tamarind – big gooseberry sized
Water – 5 cups
Tomatoes – 2, finely chopped
Red Chillies – 6
Fenugreek – 1/4 tsp
Desiccated Coconut – 1 tblsp
Salt to taste
Turmeric Powder – 1 pinch
Ghee – 2 tblsp
Asafoetida – 2 pinches
Curry Leaves – 2 sprigs
Cashewnuts – 10
1. Dry roast green gram dal.
2. Roast rava with little ghee, until raw flavour is gone.
3. Roast desiccated coconut until golden brown and powder.
4. Mix dal and rava.
5. Pour 4 cups of water in a pressure cooker.
6. Allow to boil and then add rava, dal and mix it gently and pressure cook for 2 whistles.
7. Soak and squeeze tamarind using 1 cup of water.
8. Heat ghee in a pan.
9. Add cashew, broken red chillies, fenugreek, curry leaves and asafoetida.
10. Mix chopped tomato, fry well and pour tamarind extract, salt, turmeric powder.
11. Allow to boil for few minutes.
12. Pour this to cooked pongal in pressure cooker.
13. Cook for 5 more minutes in medium flame.
14. Just before removing, add desiccated coconut powder and stir gently.
15. Serve hot.