For Dry Masalas:
Chilli Powder – 1 tsp
Turmeric Powder – 1/2 tsp
Coriander Powder -2 tsp
Cumin Seed Powder – 1 tsp
Garam Masala – 1 tsp
Salt to taste
Thick Tamarind Pulp – 1/2 cup
1. Soak chana overnight with 1/2 tsp baking soda.
2. Next day, wash thoroughly and pressure cook with some water till soft.
3. Remove lid, add salt, cook a little more so that the extra water gets absorbed.
4. Cook palak and methi with a little salt. Cool.
5. Add all the masala ingredients, except oil and chana, and pass through a liquidiser. Set aside puree.
6. Heat oil, add spinach puree and fry for 2 to 3 minutes.
7. Add all the dry masalas one by one, continuing to fry all the time, till oil surfaces.
8. Now add cooked chana, tamarind pulp and some water, if necessary. Simmer till gravy is blended.
9. To serve, pour gravy into a bowl, garnish with sliced raw onion or some curds beaten smooth.