For White Sauce:
Butter- 1 tblsp
Flour – 1 tblsp
Milk – 1 1/2 cups
Salt to taste
Mixed Herbs – a large pinch
1. Cut onions into thin slices and grate potato.
2. Melt 2 tblsp butter, add spices, when done, add onions, fry till light brown in colour adding potato gratings.
3. Stir fry for 1 to 2 minutes longer.
4. Add 3 to 4 cup water, salt, cook, cool, discard bay leaf and spices (except pepper), puree and set aside.
5. To prepare white sauce, melt 1 tblsp butter on very low heat.
6. Add flour, fry till it turns light brown, remove from fire, add milk gradually mixing all the while so that there are no lumps.
7. Put back on fire, cook to a thin custard consistency.
8. To white sauce, gradually add onion puree, stirring all the while.
9. Simmer for 1 to 2 minutes till blended, adding herbs.
10. Serve very hot.