Raw Jackfruit – 1/2 kg
Coconut Gratings – 1 1/2 cups
Onion – 1, chopped
Green Chillies – 2 to 3, slit
Juice of 1/2 Lemon
Salt to taste
Oil or Ghee – 3 tblsp
Mustard Seeds – 1/2 tsp
Asafoetida – a pinch
Curry Leaves – 2 sprigs
Turmeric Powder – 1/2 tsp
Chilli Powder – 1/2 tsp
Coriander Leaves – 1 tblsp, chopped
1. Add 1 cup of boiling water to coconut gratings.
2. Extract thick milk by squeezing and set aside.
3. Add 2 more cups of boiling water.
4. When cool, pass through a liquidiser, strain and take out the thin milk. Keep both separate.
5. Remove the thick outer skin of jack fruit, cut into very small pieces along with the seeds.
6. Heat oil, add mustard seeds and asafoetida, then the curry leaves, green chillies and onion.
7. Fry till the onion turns brown.
8. Add jack fruit pieces, fry on low heat for 3 to 5 minutes till they get soft.
9. Add turmeric and chilli powders, stir for 1 to 2 minutes.
10. Add thin coconut milk, cover and cook.
11. When jack fruit pieces are done, add salt, cover and cook for some more time.
12. Add thick milk, the chopped coriander leaves and sugar.
13. Simmer for 2 to 3 minutes more.
14. Remove from fire, add lemon juice and mix.
15. Serve hot with rice.