Are you looking to add some Tex-Mex excitement to your dining table? Look no further than Stuffed Tortillas! This vibrant and mouthwatering dish brings together juicy sausages, a zesty kidney bean salsa, and a medley of fresh ingredients, all wrapped in warm tortillas. It’s a fiesta of flavours that’ll transport your taste buds to culinary bliss.
The star of this recipe is the homemade salsa – an irresistible blend of charred red peppers, canned red kidney beans, ripe tomatoes, chopped onion, garlic, and a refreshing splash of lime juice. The addition of fresh basil infuses a delightful herbaceous note, perfectly complementing the smoky sweetness of the red peppers.
To prepare the dish, start charring the red peppers under a grill until their skins turn blackened and charred. Seal them in a bag to soften, then peel and chop them into small pieces before adding them to the kidney bean mixture.
While the salsa marinates, grill the sausages until cooked through and sizzling with flavour. Warm the tortillas in a non-stick frying pan; you’re almost ready for the assembly!
Picture this: tender sausages, mouthwatering kidney bean salsa, shredded lettuce, ripe tomato slices, and a dollop of soured cream, all lovingly encased in the soft embrace of the tortilla. Every bite is an explosion of textures and flavours, a perfect harmony of ingredients that’ll leave you craving more.
Serve Stuffed Tortillas with fresh salad for a wholesome and satisfying meal. It’s an ideal dish for casual gatherings, family dinners, or whenever you want to bring Tex-Mex joy to your table.
- 4 Sausages
- 4 large Wheat or Corn Tortillas (or 8 small)
- Salad to garnish
For the Salsa:
- 2 Red Peppers de-seeded and cut into quarters
- 325 g Canned Red Kidney Beans drained, rinsed, and drained again
- 4 large Tomatoes chopped
- 1 large Onion chopped
- 1 clove Garlic chopped
- 1 tbsp Lime Juice
- 1 tbsp Fresh Basil chopped
- Salt and Pepper as required
- Shredded Lettuce
- Slices of Fresh Tomato
- Soured Cream
- Grill the red peppers skin-side up until blackened and charred. Transfer to a bag and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine kidney beans, tomatoes, onion, garlic, lime juice, and basil. Season with salt and pepper.
- Peel the blackened skins from the red pepper quarters and chop the flesh. Add it to the kidney bean mixture.
- Grill the sausages until cooked through, turning occasionally.
- Warm the tortillas in a non-stick frying pan, then wrap them in foil to keep warm.
- Slice the sausages.
- Fill the tortillas with sausage slices, kidney bean salsa, shredded lettuce, tomato slices, and soured cream.
- Serve immediately with a salad garnish.
What are some suitable pairings for Stuffed Tortillas?
For a complete Tex-Mex feast, pair Stuffed Tortillas with flavorful sides like Mexican Rice, Guacamole, or Pico de Gallo. If you crave more Tex-Mex delights, try Chicken Fajitas or Beef Enchiladas – they’ll make your taste buds dance!
Can I make the salsa in advance?
Absolutely! The salsa’s flavours meld beautifully over time. Prepare it for a few hours or even the day before for more robust flavours. Just store it in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
Can I use different types of sausages?
Definitely! While the recipe suggests traditional sausages, experiment with chicken, turkey, or veggie sausages for a delightful twist.
Can I freeze Stuffed Tortillas for later?
Although the tortillas are best enjoyed fresh, you can freeze the sausage and salsa mixture separately for up to 2 months. Thaw them before reheating and assembling the tortillas for a quick and tasty meal.