Fresh Coconut – 1, grated
Sugar equal to 1 1/2 times weight of grated coconut
Cream – 2 tblsp
Nutmeg and Cardamom Powder – 1/2 tsp
Red Food Colour – 1 drop
Vanilla Essence – 1/2 to 1 tsp
Butter – 1/2 tsp
1. Grease a tray with butter.
2. In a pan, add grated coconut and sugar and place on medium heat.
3. Blend well stirring constantly with wooden spoon for 2 minutes.
4. Add cream and blend well.
5. Cook, stirring continuously, till mixture leaves slides of pan and coats the spoon. Remove from heat.
6. Add vanilla essence and one drop of red food colour to give mixture a pale pink colour and mix well.
7. Turn out into tray, sprinkle nutmeg and cardamom powder over surface and spread out mixture evenly to 1 cm thickness.
8. Cool for 15 minutes, then mark into 1 1/2 inches squares and allow to cool completely.
9. Break into pieces along marking lines and store in airtight container.