Basmati Rice – 1 kg, washed and dried
Ghee – 250 gms
Raisins – 30 gms, picked, washed and soaked in water to soften
Salt – 1 tsp
Bay Leaves – 3
Cinnamon – 4 inches
Cardamom – 4
Cloves – 6
Onons – 250 gms, peeled, halved and sliced thinly. Fry till crisp and golden brown. Drain and set aside.
1. Measure rice in cupfuls. Using the same measure, pour double the measure of water to rice in a large pan and set to boil.
2. When water comes to a boil, add the rice, stir and half cover and let cook on medium flame till rice is done (approx 15-20 minutes).
3. Immediately wash out rice with cold water to remove starch. Drain thoroughly.
4. Heat ghee in a separate pan. Fry the bay leaves, cinnamon, cardamom and cloves till they start to splutter.
5. Stir in rice and fry till it starts to brown.
6. Stir in salt and raisins and cook for a few minutes more.
7. Sprinkle browned onions and serve immediately.
authentic bengali pulao has sugar and no onions …the basic recipe is rice , ghee , whole garam masala , salt , sugar , raisins , saffron soaked in milk (optional) , turmeric powder (optional) .