Limes – 25
Salt – 1 cup
Fenugreek Powder – 1/2 cup
Mustard Powder – 1/2 cup
Chilli Powder – 1/2 cup
Ground Turmeric – 2 tblsp
Mustard Oil – 2 1/2 cups
Asafoetida – 1 tsp
Yellow Mustard Seeds – 2 tblsp, crushed
1. Cut each lime into 8 pieces and remove the seeds, if you like.
2. Put the limes in a large glass bowl or a sterilized jar.
3. Add the salt and toss with the limes.
4. Cover and leave it in a warm place place for 1-2 weeks, until they become soft and dull brown in colour.
5. Mix together the fenugreek powder, mustard powder, chilli powder and turmeric and add to the limes.
6. Cover and leave to rest in a warm place for a further 2-3 days.
7. Heat the mustard oil in a frying pan and fry the asafoetida and mustard seeds.
8. When the oil reaches smoking point, pour it over the limes.
9. Mix well, cover with a clean cloth and leave in a warm place for about 1 week.
Receive the latest recipes & kitchen tips !