Masoor Dal – 1/2 cup
Moong Dal – 1/4 cup
Water – 2 1/2 cups
Fresh Root Ginger – 1 tsp, grated
Garlic – 1 tsp, crushed
Turmeric – 1/4 tsp, ground
Fresh Green Chillies – 2, chopped
Salt – 1 1/2 tsp
For the Garnish
Fresh Coriander – 1 tblsp, chopped
Fresh Green Chillies – 1 or 2, seeded and sliced
Fresh Mint – 1 tblsp, chopped
1. Boil all the masoor dal and moong dal in the water with the ginger and garlic, turmeric and chopped green chillies for 15-20 minutes or until soft.
2. Mash the mixture with a fork until it has the consistency of a creamy soup.
3. If the lentil mixture looks too dry, add a little more water. Season with the salt.
4. To prepare the tarka, heat the oil in a heavy pan and fry the onion with the mustard and onion seeds, dried red chillies and tomato for 2 minutes.
5. Spoon the mashed lentils into a serving dish and pour the tarka over.
6. Garnish with fresh coriander, green chillies and mint and serve immediately.