Sookhi Dal Amritsari is a traditional Punjabi dish bursting with flavours and textures. This dish is a perfect blend of lentils, spices, and herbs that are cooked to perfection. The dish gets its name because it is a dry version of the dal, making it perfect for pairing rice or roti.
The secret to making Sookhi Dal Amritsari is using the right combination of spices and herbs. The dish is typically made with chana dal, a high-protein lentil with health benefits. The spices used in this recipe include cumin seeds, coriander powder, garam masala, and turmeric powder, which impart a unique flavour to the dish.
If you are a fan of Punjabi cuisine, then Sookhi Dal Amritsari is a must-try for you. The dish is easy to make and is perfect for a quick weeknight dinner. You can pair this dish with Punjabi delicacies like butter chicken, palak paneer, or aloo gobi.
Sookhi Dal Amritsari Recipe
Ingredients for Sookhi Dal Amritsari
- 1/2 cup Urad Dal soaked in water
- 1 Onion small, chopped
- 1 Tomatoes chopped
- 1 Green Chillies medium, chopped
- 1/4 tsp Garam Masala Powder
- 1/4 tsp Red Chilli Powder
- 1/2 tbsp Coriander Leaves chopped
- 1/4 tsp Lemon Juice
- as per taste Salt
- 1 inch Ginger julienned
- a pinch Turmeric Powder
- 1 tbsp Oil
- a small pinch Asafoetida Powder
- 1/2 tsp Cumin Seeds
How to make Sookhi Dal Amritsari
- Heat a pan over medium flame.
- Add the urad dal, 3 cups of water, salt, turmeric powder and 1/2 of the ginger julienne.
- Increase the flame to high and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and cook till the dal is soft.
- Meanwhile in another pan heat oil over moderate flame.
- Add asafoetida powder, cumin seeds and onions.
- Saute till onions turn soft and light pink.
- Add the remaining ginger , green chillies and tomatoes.
- Stir and add red chilli powder.
- Cook till oil rises to the top.
- Strain the dal and add to the masala.
- Mix well.
- Add salt, garam masala powder, coriander leaves and lemon juices.
- Cook for a minute or two.
- Serve hot.
Sookhi Dal Amritsari FAQ
How do I make Sookhi Dal Amritsari less spicy?
Suppose you find the Sookhi Dal Amritsari recipe too spicy for your taste. In that case, you can reduce the amount of red chilli powder or green chillies used in the recipe. Add some yoghurt or cream to the dal to reduce the spice level. Alternatively, you can serve the dal with some plain rice or bread, which will help balance out the heat.
Can I use canned lentils for Sookhi Dal Amritsari?
While canned lentils are a convenient option, this recipe may have better choices. Sookhi Dal Amritsari is typically made with dried whole urad dal, with a distinct nutty flavour and texture. You may be able to use canned lentils as a substitute, but the final dish may have a different depth of flavour or texture. If you use canned lentils, drain and rinse them thoroughly before adding them to the recipe.
What are some suitable pairings for Sookhi Dal Amritsari?
Sookhi Dal Amritsari is a hearty and flavorful dish that can be enjoyed independently or with various accompaniments. Some popular pairings include naan bread, roti, or plain rice. You can also serve the dal with pickles or chutneys, such as mango pickles or mint chutney. If you want other dishes to complement the dal, pair it with vegetable curries, such as aloo gobi or baingan bharta.