Vegetable Stock – 2 1/2 cups
Saffron Strands – generous pinch
Butter – 1/4 cup
Onion – 1, chopped
Garlic – 1 cloves, crushed
Cinnamon Stick – 1 inch piece
Green Cardamom Pods – 6
Bay Leaf – 1
Basmati Rice – 1 1/3 cup, soaked in water for 20-30 minutes
Sultanas – 1/3 cup
Vegetable Oil – 1 tblsp
Cashew Nuts – 1/2 cup
Naan Bread to serve
Tomato and Onion Salad to serve
1. Pour the hot vegetable stock into a jug. Stir in the saffron threads and set aside.
2. Heat the butter in a pan and fry the onion and garlic for 5 minutes. Stir in the cinnamon stick, cardamoms and bay leaf and cook for 2 minutes.
3. Drain the rice and add to the pan, then cook, stirring for 2 minutes more. Pour in the saffron stock and add the sultanas.
4. Bring to the boil, stir, then lower the heat, cover and cook gently for 10 minutes or until the rice is tender and all the liquid has been absorbed.
5. Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large pan and fry the cashew nuts until browned.
6. Drain on kitchen paper, then sprinkle the cashew nuts over the rice.
7. Serve with naan bread and tomato and onion salad.