Beans Paruppu Usili is a classic South Indian dish combining the fresh crunch of French beans with a spicy lentil mixture, creating a delightful balance of textures and flavours.
- Beans Paruppu Usili
About the Recipe:
This recipe is an invitation to explore the rich tapestry of South Indian cuisine. It’s a must-try for those who love combining healthful ingredients with robust flavours.
Why You Will Love This Recipe:
Beans Paruppu Usili is not just a feast for the taste buds; it’s a nutritious choice, rich in protein and fibre. Its versatility makes it an excellent accompaniment to various meals.
Beans Paruppu Usili
- 1 Cup Red Gram Dal
- 4 to 5 Dry Red Chillies
- Salt to Taste
- 1/4 Tsp Asafoetida Powder
- 1/2 Kg French Beans Chopped Fine
- 1 Tsp Mustard Seeds
- 1 tsp Bengal Gram Dal
- 1 Tsp Black Gram Dal
- 1 Dry Red Chilli Halved
- 1/2 Tsp Cumin Seeds
- A Few Curry Leaves
- Soak the red gram dal and red chillies in water for an hour.
- Drain, then grind them into a smooth paste with salt and asafoetida powder. Set aside.
- Cook the beans in a pan until tender, using minimal water.
- Remove the beans and set aside.
- Heat 2 tbsp of oil in the same pan. Add the tempering ingredients.
- Once the mustard seeds begin to splutter, add the dal paste. Fry on low heat, stirring occasionally, until the mixture is crisp.
- Mix in the cooked beans, frying briefly to blend the flavours.
- Serve hot.
Ensure the lentils are soaked well and ground to a smooth paste for the best flavour. Fry the paste until it’s golden and crispy for that perfect texture.
Serving and Storing Suggestions:
Serve hot as a side dish with rice or rotis. Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to two days.