Next week is the start of school for most kids here in Lancaster. For my son, it’s also the start of soccer season. In the past, he practiced in soccer league for little kids, but next week, he is moving up to the grade school soccer team. He will have one practice during the week after school and a game on Saturday mornings. Whaat? Games? Ohh Emm Gee. It’s getting real.
My son loves soccer, and albeit, I’m a little biased, I think he is pretty good at it. Still, this age group [kindergarten] is typically a bunch of super cute kiddos, moving in a pack-like formation, hovering over the soccer ball. Imagine a large group of kids, transformed into a moving herd with flailing arms and kicking legs. This is kindergarten soccer. With the start of soccer season and the start of the school year, this soccer mama is working on weekly meal planning and fun, healthy after-school snacks that are kid-friendly and mom-approved.
Recently, I cooked up some Sweet n Spicy Sweet Potato Fries. These fries are so yummy; they are perfect for the kiddos and the adults. They are quick and easily put together for an after-school snack or just the right side for your next family dinner.
After tossing these sweet potato sticks in a few spices, they are simply baked in the oven until they are crispy on the outside and soft and warm on the inside. I whipped up a simple, yet spicy sriracha-mayo dipping sauce to compliment the sweetness of the fries. The dipping sauce is spicy enough for mom and dad, but not too spicy for the kids. Sweet n Spicy Sweet Potato Fries will be your new go-to family favorite French Fry. Go ahead – get the recipe and get these babies in the oven today.
Sweet n Spicy Sweet Potato Fries
- 2 Medium to Large Sweet Potatoes Skinned cut into 1/4 inch sticks
- 2 Tbsp EVOO (Extra Virgin Olive Oil)
- 1 Tbsp Corn Starch
- 1 Tsp Garlic Powder
- 1 Tsp Paprika
- 1 Tsp Salt
- 1/2 Tsp Pepper
- Flat Leaf Parsley Topping
- To Taste Salt Topping/
- Preheat the oven to 420 degrees.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the sweet potato sticks with the EVOO and corn starch. Mix until all the sticks are coated evenly.
- Next, add the spices to the sweet potato sticks. Make sure the sticks are well coated with the spices.
- Lay on a baking sheet. Makes sure there is space between each fry. Bake for 15 minutes. Turn the fries. Bake for another 10-15 minutes, or until fries are a crispy and a golden brown color.
- Serve immediately.
Sriracha-Mayo Dipping Sauce1/2 cup of Mayo
2 tbsp of Sriracha sauce (more or less according to preference)
Whisk together and serve.