Chicken Breast – 450 gms, boneless, skinless and cut into medium size chunks
Garlic – 1 tblsp, minced
Vegetable Oil – for frying
Red Capsicum or Scallions – julienned
Crispy Noodles – rice or egg noodles or steaming rice for serving
For the Batter:
All purpose flour – 120 gms
Cornstarch – 75 gms
Egg – 1
Water – 90 ml
Baking powder – 1/8 tsp
Baking soda – 1/8 tsp
For the Chicken Seasoning
Lite soy sauce – 1 tblsp
White pepper – 1/8 tsp
Kosher salt – 1/4 tsp
Corn starch – 1 tblsp
For the Sauce:
Sake or Rice wine – 1/2 cup
Honey – 1/2 cup
Rice vinegar – 90 ml
Lite soy sauce – 3 tblsp
Sugar – 6 tblsp
Cornstarch slurry – 1/4 cup corn starch mixed with 1/4 cup water
1.Mix together all the batter ingredients and place in refrigerator for 2 hours.
2. Coat chicken well with seasonings and marinate in the refrigerator for 20 minutes.
3. In a large bowl mix the sauce ingredients thoroughly and reserve.
4. Pour vegetable oil into a heavy bottomed wok and slowly heat to 340-350F
5. Put 1/4 of the marinated chicken in a clean bowl and pour enough batter over to coat.
6. Remove a few pieces at a time from the batter, using slotted spoon or large fork. Shake off excess batter. Carefully lower chicken into the hot oil.
7. Fry the chicken until the batter sets or for 20-30 seconds and it becomes golden and crisp.
8. Remove to platter with paper towels to drain. Repeat for all the chicken.
9. Now bring the reserved sauce to a boil in a saucepan.
10. Add cornstarch slurry, a little at a time. The sauce will thicken, as it cooks for a minute or two.
11. In a wok add 2 tblsp oil and heat.
12. Put in the minced garlic, red capsiscum and scallions and stir fry briefly.
13. Add 1/3 to 1/2 of the chicken and stir fry briefly. Add enough sauce to just coat the the chicken.
14. Fry for a little longer and then pour it over rice to serve.