Shami Kebab (or Shaami Kabab) is a popular dish from the Mughlai/Awadhi cuisine. A popular recipe during Ramadan month, it is often served as a starter/appetizer.
Mutton – 500 gms, boneless, minced
Chana Dal – 2 tblsp
Onion – 2, medium, sliced
Eggs – 2
Dry Red Chillies – 8
Coriander Leaves – handful
Ginger Garlic Paste – 1 tblsp
Cumin Seeds – 2 tsp
Garam Masala Powder – 2 tsp
Salt as per taste
Oil as required
1. Soak dal for 45 to 90 minutes.
2. Heat 1/4 cup of oil in a pan over medium flame.
3. Fry the onions until golden and remove.
4. Drain the oil and Keep aside.
5. Add 2 tblsp of oil to the pan.
6. Fry the cumin seeds for 30 seconds.
7. Add red chillies, ginger garlic paste and fry for a minute.
8. Add the minced mutton.
9. Mix well.
10. Drain the dal and add to the pan.
11. Add salt and stir to mix well.
12. Reduce flame and cover the pan with a lid.
13. When the dal is cooked, switch off the flame and transfer the mixture to a large mixer jar.
14. Add the fried onions and coriander leaves.
15. Grind to a coarse mixture.
16. Transfer to a large bowl.
17. Make small balls of this mixture and flatten them lightly.
18. Break the egg into a bowl and beat it lightly.
19. Dip the kebab patties in the egg.
20. Heat oil in a shallow pan over medium flame.
21. Shallow fry the kebabs till golden brown.
22. Remove and drain excess oil.
23. Serve with mint chutney or ketchup.