Mutton Kola Urundai (Spicy Meatballs) is a popular South Indian starter snack dish made with minced mutton balls deep fried in oil and served with a choice of chutney. A staple dish from the Chettinad cuisine, it is often made during special occasions. It is an aromatic, flavourful and delicious spicy meatballs that is a popular fare in many restaurants across Tamil Nadu. It can be served as a snack or can be served alongside rice, biryani or pulao.
Mutton Kola Urundai Recipe
Ingredients for Mutton Kola Urundai
- 500 g Mutton boneless, skinless, chopped
- 2 Onions finely chopped
- 4 Green Chillies chopped
- 2 tsp Ginger Garlic Paste
- 4 tsp Coconut grated
- 1/2 tsp Garam Masala Powder
- 2 tsp Red Chilli Powder
- 1/4 tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1 cup Roasted Gram
- 1 tsp Saunf
- 2 Eggs
- Coriander Leaves handful
- Curry Leaves handful
- Salt as per taste
- Oil as required
How to make Mutton Kola Urundai
- Grind the roasted gram to a fine powder.
- Grind or finely mince the mutton with salt and turmeric powder.
- Heat 2 to 3 tsp of oil in a pan over medium flame.
- Fry the curry leaves and saunf for 10 seconds.
- Add the onions, green chillies and ginger garlic paste.
- Saute for a minute or two.
- Add red chilli powder, ground/finely minced mutton, garam masala powder and salt.
- Mix well and cook for a minute.
- Sprinkle a bit of water and cook for another minute.
- Add grated coconut and cook until the mutton is done.
- Remove from flame.
- Add the roasted gram powder and coriander leaves.
- Mix well.
- Shape the mixture into small/medium balls.
- Break the eggs and beat them well.
- Heat oil in a deep frying pan over medium flame.
- Dip the mutton balls in the egg mixture and deep fry until golden brown.
- Remove and transfer to a serving plate.
- Serve as a snack or as a starter or as an accompaniment to a meal.