Mussels – 2 kg
Vegetable oil – 4 tbsp
Cumin seeds – 1 tsp
Onion – 1, medium sized and finely chopped
Garlic – 6 cloves, ground
Fresh ginger root – 1 1/4 inch piece, ground
Green chilli – 2, ground
Turmeric powder – 1 tsp
Coconut – 2 cups, freshly grated
Water – 3 cups
Salt – 1 tsp
1. Fry the cumin seeds in hot oil till they begin to splutter and add the finely chopped onions and fry till they get golden brown.
2. Make a smooth paste of ground garlic and ginger with a little water.
3. Mix the paste with the fried onions and cook for a few minutes. Then, stir int he seeded and chopped chillies and turmeric powder.
4. Add the coconut, salt and about 3 cups water and cook for about 5 minutes.
5. Add the scrubbed mussels, still in their shells.
6. Mix well and simmer for another 5 minutes or so, when all the shells should open up.
This is a very good recipe, will try it out. Thank you for sharing.