Fish – 1/2 kg
Red chilli powder – 1 1/2 tsp
Turmeric powder – 1 tsp
Ginger powder – 1/2 tsp
Saunf powder – 1/2 tsp
Asafoetida – a pinch
Cloves – 2
Oil for cooking and frying
Salt as per taste
1. Wash and clean the fish and cut into thick slices.
2. Heat oil in a pan and deep fry fish pieces till golden brown. Remove and keep aside in a plate.
3. Now, add chilli powder, asafoetida and a little water. Stir for 30 seconds.
4. Add two cups of water and all other ingredients to the chilli mixture.
5. Add fried fish to spicy chilli mixture.
6. Cover the pan and allow it to boil for 15 minutes. Lower heat and simmer for 15 minutes more.
7. Water may be required if so add a little bit.
8. Fish is ready when a gravy of thick consistency is reached.
9. Serve with rice.