Sago Adai (Sabudana Adai or Javvarisi Adai) is a delicious, healthy and simple to make breakfast or dinner dish. Adai is a popular South Indian variation to the popular Dosa.
Parboiled Rice – 2 cups
Nylon Sabudana (Javvarisi/Sago) – 1 cup
Horse Gram – 1 cup
Black Pepper Powder – 2 tblsp
Green Chillies – 4 to 5
Asafoetida Powder – 2 tsp
Ginger – 1 inch piece
Carrot – 1/3 cup, grated
Oil – 1/3 cup
Salt as per taste
Curry Leaves – few (optional)
1. Combine the rice and horse gram.
2. Wash and soak them in water for 2 hours.
3. Wash and soak the sabudana for 2 hours, separately.
4. Drain any excess water from the rice-horse gram and transfer to a grinder.
5. Add green chillies, ginger and salt.
6. Grind for 2 minutes.
7. Add the sabudana and asafoetida.
8. Grind all the ingredients to a coarse (and pourable) batter.
9. Add carrot, curry leaves, pepper powder and mix well.
10. Keep aside for 15 to 20 minutes.
11. Heat a dosa tawa over medium flame.
12. Pour a ladleful of the batter and spread evenly.
13. Apply oil around the edges and cook on both sides.
14. Serve hot with chutney and sambar or side dish of choice.