Keerai masiyal is a popular South Indian (especially Tamil Nadu) dish and served with hot rice. Manathakkali keerai (or known as Black Nightshade in English and Makoi in Hindi) is rich in nutrients with lots of medicinal properties. Consumption of manathakkali keerai improves digestion, treats constipation, ulcers, headache, skin infections and is good for pregnant women.
1. Clean, wash and finely chop the keerai.
2. Pressure cook the keerai, tomatoes, garlic and moong dal until 3 to 5 whistles, adding enough water.
3. When the pressure has reduced, open the lid.
4. Add enough salt and mash well.
5. Heat little oil in a frying pan.
6. Fry the red chillies and mustard seeds.
7. Pour this over the masiyal and stir once.
8. Serve with hot rice.