Chicken (cut into pieces) – 1 1/2 kg
Garlic Flakes (crushed) – 1 1/2 tsp
Ginger (crushed) – 1 1/2 tsp
Water – 1 litre
Flour – 1 tbsp
Milk – 250 ml
Butter – 1 tbsp
Freshly ground black pepper – to taste
Green chillies (finely chopped) – 2
Coriander leaves (chopped) – 1 tbsp
Lemon juice – 1/2 tsp
Salt – to taste
Grated cheese – 100 gm
Butter (cut into small cubes) – 75 gms
Egg (lightly beaten) – 1
1. Place the chicken in a dish with the crushed garlic, crushed ginger and one litre water.
2. Boil till the chicken is tender and cooked.
3. Remove the chicken from the dish but reserve the stock for later use.
4. Take the chicken off the bone and cut into long strips and set aside.
5. Place the stock back on the fire, adding a little more water if required.
6. Stir in the flour a little at a time, making sure it doesn’t form any lumps.
7. Slowly pour in the milk and stir till the sauce is smooth.
8. Mix in one tbsp. of butter and allow the sauce to simmer for a few more minutes, till it thickens.
9. Remove from heat and set aside.
10. In a baking dish, place the boneless chicken at the base, and cover with the freshly ground black pepper, coating the chicken layer evenly.
11. Sprinkle in the chopped green chillies, followed by the chopped coriander.
12. Drizzle the lemon juice over the coriander and chilli layer.
13. Add salt to taste.
14. Pour on the white sauce to form an even layer and to cover the chicken totally.
15. Sprinkle the grated cheese over the white sauce and dot the cheese layer with cubes of butter.
16. Pour on the lightly beaten egg.
17. Bake in an oven at 180c till the top is nicely browned and the cheese has melted.