1 cup basmati rice
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1 tsp salt (to taste)
1 – 1 1/2 cups tightly packed methi leaves, finely chopped
2 tbsp lime juice
2 tbsp ghee
2 tbsp husked urad dal
1 tbsp coriander seeds
1/2 tsp cumin seeds
3-4 dried red chillies
4 tbsp ghee
1/2 tsp mustard seeds
1 tsp husked urad dal
1/2 tsp asafoetida powder
1 dried red chilli, halved
1 sprig curry leaves
1. Cook rice and spread on a platter to cool.
2. Heat ghee for spice powder in a frying pan over moderate heat. Add remaining ingredients for spice powder and fry over low heat. Toss gently, till dal turn golden and spices and chillies are fragrant. Cool and grind to a fine powder.
3. Place fenugreek leaves in a pan over low heat and sprinkle in 1 tbsp water. Cover pan and cook for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, till tender. Remove from heat and set aside.
4. Heat ghee for tempering in a frying pan over moderate heat. Add remaining ingredients for tempering in the order given. When mustard seeds splutter, blend in fenugreek leaves and saute for a minute.
5. Add spice powder and rice. Stir gently till well blended. Taste and add more salt if necessary.
6. Remove from heat and sprinkle in lime juice. Toss gently to mix.
Serve immediately or at room temperature.