Adai is a popular South Indian breakfast/dinner dish. Similar to a dosa, it is slightly thicker and heavy. This variation uses minced mutton and is equally delicious as regular adais.
Minced Mutton – 100 gms
Parboiled Rice – 100 gms
Bengal Gram Dal – 50 gms
Toor Dal – 50 gms
Moong Dal – 2 tsp
Shallots (Sambar Onions) – 2 tblsp
Saunf – 2 tsp
Cumin Seeds – 2 tsp
Dry Red Chillies – 2 tsp
Coconut – 2 tblsp, grated
Ginger Garlic Paste – 2 to 3 tblsp
Curry Leaves – few
Coriander Leaves – few
Asafoetida Powder – a pinch
Salt as per taste
Oil as required
1. Soak the parboiled rice for 60 minutes.
2. Combine and soak the dals for 60 minutes.
3. Drain well and combine the rice and dals.
4. Add mutton, red chillies, cumin seeds and saunf.
5. Grind to a coarse batter.
6. Add curry leaves, coriander leaves, ginger garlic paste, coconut, asafoetida powder and salt.
7. Saute the onions in little oil and add to the batter.
8. Mix well and keep aside for 10 to 15 minutes.
9. Heat a tawa over medium flame.
10. Pour a ladleful of the batter and spread evenly.
11. Apply oil around the edges and cook on both sides.
12. Serve hot with chutney and sambar of choice.