A traditional rajasthani dish.
1 cup gramflour
1 cup curd
2 tbsp oil
1 1/2 tsp coriander powder
1 tsp red chilli powder
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1/2 tsp black pepper, coarsely ground
1/2 tsp cumin seeds
1/2 tsp aniseed
1 tsp coriander seeds
1/2 tsp garam masala
a pinch of asafoetida
2 tbsp chopped coriander leaves
salt to taste
1. Mix gramflour, 1/2 tbsp salt, 2 tsp oil, 1/4 tsp each cumin, aniseed, coriander seeds and black pepper. Mix till it looks like breadcrumbs. Knead it with some water.
2. Divide this dough into 4 parts. Roll each portion into a cylindrical way.
3. Boil sufficient water in a deep pan. Put these gattas in it. Cover and leave for 10 minutes on medium heat. Allow to cool. Cut into small roundels. Reserver the boiled water for making the gravy.
4. Heat oil in a pan. Add cumin, aniseed and asafoetida. Make a paste of the rest of the four spices with two tablespoon water.
5. Add this masala paste to the oil, fry. Add curd and fry till the oil separates. Now add 2 cups of the reserved water and boil.
6. Place the gattas in this gravy and simmer for 10 minutes. Sprinkle garam masala and coriander leaves. Serve hot.