Puran Poli is a popular sweet dish made during Holi festival. It is like a stuffed paratha filled with dal, jaggery and coconut. This is also made during Diwali and is often served as a dessert or as an evening tiffen.
- Flour – 2 cups
- Chana Dal – 3 cups
- Sugar or Jaggery – 3 cups
- Ghee – 1 cup
- Powdered Cardamoms – 5
- Nutmeg – 1/4, grated (optional)
- Water as required
- Salt as per taste
- Mix flour with water.
- Knead well to make a stiff dough.
- Cover the dough and keep aside for 2 hours.
- Pressure cook the dal and strain out the water.
- Once the dal has cooled, add sugar along with 1 tblsp of ghee.
- Cook on low flame till the gram mixture is soft and sticky.
- Knead the dough again, adding salt, water and oil, little at a time, till the dough becomes pliable.
- Grind the dal and sugar mixture to a smooth consistency adding a little milk if it is too dry.
- Add cardamom powder and nutmeg powder.
- Take a lime-sized lump of the dough and a little larger lump of the dal mixture.
- Roll out two rounds from the dough on a board sprinkled with rice flour, into flat rounds of about 7 inch in diameter.
- Cover on round with the dal mixture, leaving half an inch at the edges, and then cover this with the second round.
- Roll again over this to seal them together, pinching the edges to seal well.
- Roll out like a thick chapathi.
- Heat ghee on a hot griddle and put the puran poli on it.
- Keep pressing and turning it so that it cooks well on both sides.
- Keep adding ghee all around to brown it evenly without sticking to the griddle.
- Serve hot.
Receive the latest recipes & kitchen tips !