A delicious and common breakfast dish from Karnatka, Akki Roti is made with rice flour. It can also be served as a snack or for dinner.
Rice Flour – 1 cup
Cumin Seeds – 1/2 tsp
Green Chillies – 2, finely chopped
Coriander Leaves – 2 to 3 tblsp, finely chopped
Green Peas – 1/4 cup, shelled,boiled, lightly mashed, well drained
Onion – 1, small, finely sliced (optional)
Coconut – 1/3 cup, grated
Salt as per taste
Oil – 1/4 cup
Ghee – 2 tblsp
1. Combine all the ingredients except oil and ghee.
2. Add enough water and mix to a soft dough.
3. Make small/medium balls and keep them in a bowl.
4. Cover with a kitchen cloth and keep aside.
5. Grease a banana leaf or a clean plastic sheet (or even a kadhai).
6. Take one of the prepared balls and gently press outward, pushing and spreading it evenly with your fingers.
7. Heat a tawa over medium flame.
8. Cook the rotis on both sides, applying little ghee around the edges, until light brown.
9. Remove and serve with chutney or pickle.
Tip: Typically the tawas are cleaned and cooled after making each roti.