Kovakkai (Ivy Gourd/Tindora) is a popular vegetable in South India and has numerous medicinal properties.
Kovakkai (Ivy Gourd / Tindora) – 500 gms
Tomatoes – 250 gms
Green Chillies – 5 to 6
Gingelly Oil – 2 tblsp
Cumin Powder – 2 tblsp
Fenugreek Seeds – 1 tblsp
Turmeric Powder – 1 tsp
Lemons – 3 to 4
Curry Leaves – few
Salt as per taste
1. Wash and chop the kovakkais into small pieces.
2. Heat little oil in a pan.
3. Fry the fenugreek seeds until golden and grind to a powder.
4. Boil the tomatoes, peel the skin and puree the pulp.
5. Heat little oil in the pan.
6. Saute the green chillies and kovakkai pieces for a minute or two.
7. Add the fenugreek powder and cook for 3 to 4 minutes.
8. Add turmeric powder, tomato puree, curry leaves, cumin powder and salt.
9. Simmer until the green chillies and kovakkai pieces are well cooked.
10. When it reaches a pickle consistency, add lemon juice and mix well.
11. Switch off from flame and allow it to cool.
12. Store in an airtight, clean container.