Koki or more commonly known as Sindhi Koki is a very popular and traditional Sindhi breakfast dish. This is similar to a paratha but with a little variation. Best served with plain yogurt, raita or pickle of choice.
Whole Wheat Flour – 5 cups
Red Onions – 3 to 4, chopped
Green Chillies – 4 to 5, chopped
Ajwain (Carom Seeds) – 2 tsp
Salt – 1 tblsp
Dried Pomegranate Seeds – 2 tsp, crushed
Coriander Leaves – big handful, chopped
Thick Cream – 1/2 cup (optional, the traditional recipe does not have cream.)
Ghee – 1/2 cup, melted
1. Mix the flour, onions, green chillies, ajwain, salt, coriander leaves and pomegranate seeds in a large bowl.
2. Add 2 tblsp of ghee and the cream.
3. Mix well.
4. Pour 300 ml of water (about 1 1/2 cups) and knead well to a stiff dough.
5. Cover with a damp cloth and keep aside for 30 minutes.
6. Make medium size balls of the dough and roll them out on a floured surface.
7. Heat a tawa over medium flame.
8. Cook on both sides, adding ghee around the edges, until light golden.
9. Remove and serve hot.