Potato Masala is a versatile side dish for any dish especially rice, roti, dosa or pulao. This Chettinad style Potato Masala is simple to make and tastes delicious.
Potatoes – 4 to 5, depending on size
Onions – 1 to 2, finely chopped
Garlic – 5 cloves, crushed
Tomatoes – 2, finely chopped
Red Chilli Powder – 2 tblsp
Turmeric Powder – little
Saunf – 2 tsp
Curry Leaves – few
Coriander Leaves – few, chopped
Salt as per taste
Oil – 2 tblsp
1. Boil, peel and dice the potatoes.
2. Heat oil in a pan.
3. Fry the saunf and curry leaves for 20 seconds.
4. Add the onions and garlic.
5. Saute until onions turn golden.
6. Add the tomatoes and cook until it becomes pulpy.
7. Add the red chilli powder, turmeric powder and stir well.
8. Now add the potatoes and cook until evenly coated with the masala.
9. Sprinkle a little water and cover the pan with a lid.
10. Reduce flame to low and simmer for 1 or 2 minutes, stirring from time to time.
11. Remove from flame when the masala has thickened and all moisture has evaporated.
12. Transfer to a serving dish.
13. Garnish with coriander leaves.
14. Serve as a side dish to rice, roti, dosa or pulao.