Dhoklas are a popular Gujarati snack/breakfast dish. Steam cooked, they are soft, spongy and make a great evening snack or breakfast item.
Sprouted Green Gram – 2 cups
Green Chillies – 4, ground to a paste
Ginger Paste – 1 1/2 tsp
Cooking Soda – a pinch
Sugar Water – 1 tblsp
Lemon Juice – 2 tsp
Salt as per taste
Turmeric Powder as per taste
Coriander Leaves – few, chopped
Coconut – little, grated
Oil – 1 1/2 tblsp
Mustard Seeds – little
Asafoetida Powder – 1 tsp
Green Chillies – 3 to 4, slit
1. Grind the green gram with little salt and turmeric powder to a thick batter.
2. Add ginger paste, green chilli paste, cooking soda and salt.
3. Mix well and transfer to a greased plate that has atleast 1 inch depth.
4. Pressure cook (or steam cook) for 20 minutes without placing the weight.
5. Switch off the flame and wait for the pressure to reduce.
6. Heat oil for tempering and fry the mustard seeds, asafoetida powder and green chillies for a minute.
7. Transfer the dhokla to a plate and cut into small squares or rectangles.
8. Pour the tempering ingredients on top.
9. Garnish with coriander leaves and coconut.
Receive the latest recipes & kitchen tips !