Asoka Halwa is a popular South Indian dessert/sweet, especially in parts of Thanjavur.
Moong Dal – 250 gms
Sugar – 150 gms
Ghee – 150 gms
Milk – 1/4 cup
Almonds – 2 tblsp, broken
Cashewnuts – 2 tblsp, broken
Cardamom Powder – 1/4 tsp
Kesari Powder – a pinch (optional)
1. Dry roast the dal for a few minutes and soak them in water.
2. Drain and sprinkle milk. Then grind to a smooth paste.
3. Heat little ghee in a frying pan.
4. Fry the almonds and cashewnuts.
5. Add the remaining ghee to the pan.
6. Add the ground paste and sugar. Stir well till it reaches a halwa consistency.
7. Add the cashewnuts, kesari powder, cardamom powder and almonds.
8. Mix well and remove.