Urad Dal – 200 gms
Onions – 2, finely chopped (see note at the end of the recipe)
Green Chillies – 5 to 6
Curry Leaves – handful
Ginger – 1 inch piece, peeled
Coriander Leaves – handful
Salt as per taste
Oil as required
1. Soak the urad dal for 3 to 4 hours.
2. Drain and rinse well.
3. Add green chillies, ginger and salt.
4. Grind to a smooth paste.
5. Add the onions, curry leaves and coriander leaves.
6. Mix well.
7. Heat oil in a deep frying pan over medium flame.
8. Take a small lemon sized ball of the dough and place it on a greased banana leaf (or plastic sheet).
9. Shape it into a round and flatten it lightly.
10. Make a small hole in the middle using your index finger or using a clean spoon.
11. Gently drop it into the hot oil and deep fry until golden brown on all sides.
11. Remove and drain excess oil.
12. Serve with chutney and sambar of choice.
Note: In some traditional/orthodox households onions are not used. So you can omit onions if needed.
Tip: To check if the vadai is cooked, insert a clean knife and if it comes out clean, then the vadai is cooked.
Receive the latest recipes & kitchen tips !