Chettinad cuisine is famous across Tamil Nadu and both vegetarian and non-vegetarian dishes are consumed with equal fervor and delight by the native Chettiars. Most of the recipes are spicy as they consist of garam masala made from freshly powdered spices and grated coconut.
The Chettinad Kondai Kadalai Kuzhambu recipe primarily consists of Black Chickpeas (Kala Channa) and tastes out of this world! The perfect combination of spiciness and aromatic flavors make it one of the most loved dishes in the region.
Black Channa is rich in proteins and is ideal for growing children. Also, the Black Chickpeas needs to be soaked overnight to make it delectable and edible.
The mixture of grated coconut and khas-khas imparts a unique texture to this recipe and you can serve it hot with rice or dosa as per your taste preferences. You can also add some coconut water to it if you want to dilute this curry a bit.
Kuzhambu refers to curry in Tamil and consists of different ingredients like tamarind, urad dal, vegetables or meat. The specialty of Chettinad culinary is the aromatic flavor of their dishes that mainly comes from the spices which are grown in the region.
Tamil Nadu and Chettinad, in particular, have a rich history when it comes to the spices and this reflects in their cuisines as well. The spices grown in Tamil Nadu have a great demand in both national and international markets and have influenced the food culture Malaysia, Singapore, and some other Asian countries.
Curry leaves, cinnamon sticks, saunf are the spices which make this curry a winner. However, you can also experiment with some other spices to append your own touch to the traditional Chettinad cuisine.
Chettinad Kondai Kadalai Kuzhambu Recipe
Ingredients for Chettinad Kondai Kadalai Kuzhambu
- 300 gms Black Chickpeas (Karuppu Kondai Kadalai) soaked overnight or for 8 hours
- 2 Onions big, finely chopped
- 6 Garlic Cloves crushed
- 4 Tomatoes finely chopped
- 1 tblsp Red Chilli Powder
- 2 tsp Coriander Powder
- a pinch Turmeric Powder
- Salt as per taste
- 1/4 cup Coconut grated
- 1/2 tsp Gasagasa
- 2 tblsp Oil
- 2 inch Cinnamon
- 2 tsp Saunf
- Curry Leaves few
How to make Chettinad Kondai Kadalai Kuzhambu
- Grind the coconut and gasagasa to a smooth paste with little water and keep aside until required.
- Drain the chickpeas and rinse.
- Pressure cook with enough water and salt until 1 or 2 whistles.
- Heat oil in a pan.
- Add the cinnamon, saunf and curry leaves.
- Fry for 30 seconds.
- Add the onions and saute for a minute or two.
- Add the tomatoes and stir well.
- Add the red chilli powder, coriander powder and turmeric powder.
- Add the boiled chickpeas and pour 2 cups of water.
- Stir to mix well and cover the pan with a lid.
- Simmer for a few minutes.
- Add salt and ground masala.
- Mix well and add enough water.
- Bring to a boil and remove from flame.
- Serve hot with rice.