A delicious Chettinadu sambar made with black chickpeas. Serve hot with rice or with idiyappam.
Black Chickpeas (Karuppu Kondai Kadalai) – 300 gms, soaked overnight or for 8 hours
Onions – 2, big, finely chopped
Garlic – 5 to 6 cloves, crushed
Tomatoes – 4, finely chopped
Red Chilli Powder – 1 tblsp
Coriander Powder – 2 tsp
Turmeric Powder – a pinch
Salt as per taste
Coconut – 1/4 cup, grated
Gasagasa – 1/2 tsp
Oil – 2 tblsp
Cinnamon – 2 inch piece
Saunf – 2 tsp
Curry Leaves – few
1. Grind the coconut and gasagasa to a smooth paste with little water and keep aside until required.
2. Drain the chickpeas and rinse.
3. Pressure cook with enough water and salt until 1 or 2 whistles.
4. Heat oil in a pan.
5. Add the cinnamon, saunf and curry leaves.
6. Fry for 30 seconds.
7. Add the onions and saute for a minute or two.
8. Add the tomatoes and stir well.
9. Add the red chilli powder, coriander powder and turmeric powder.
10. Add the boiled chickpeas and pour 2 cups of water.
11. Stir to mix well and cover the pan with a lid.
12. Simmer for a few minutes.
13. Add salt and ground masala.
14. Mix well and add enough water.
15. Bring to a boil and remove from flame.
16. Serve hot with rice.