This is the famous Iranian Chicken Kababs with Saffron and Lime.
Chicken Breasts – 500 gms, boneless, skinless, chopped
Onion – 1, grated
Plain Yogurt – 1 cup
Extra-Virgin Olive Oil – 1 1/2 tblsp
Zest of 1/2 Lime
Lime Juice – 2 tblsp
Juice of 1/2 Lemon
Butter – 1 tblsp, melted
Garlic – 1 clove, finely chopped
Turmeric Powder – 1/2 tsp
Saffron Strands – 1/2 tsp, mixed with 1 tblsp milk or hot water
Coriander Leaves – handful, chopped
Red Chilli Powder – a pinch
Salt as per taste
Black Pepper Powder as per taste
Wooden Skewers soaked in water
1. Mix onion, yogurt, olive oil, lime zest, lime juice, garlic, turmeric powder and salt in a bowl.
2. Add saffron strands and mix well.
3. Add red chilli powder and chicken pieces.
4. Mix well and ensure the chicken pieces are evenly coated.
5. Cover with a lid and keep it in the fridge for a minimum of 24 to 36 hours.
6. From time to time stir the bowl.
7. Remove the chicken and discard the marinade.
8. Skewer the chicken pieces.
9. Mix lemon juice and butter in a bowl.
10. Place the skewers on a hot grill and baste with the lemon-butter sauce from time to time.
11. Cook, turning from time to time, till chicken is cooked and tender.
12. Remove and transfer them to a serving plate.
13. Garnish with coriander leaves and squeeze a bit of lemon juice.
14. Serve with cooked rice.
Receive the latest recipes & kitchen tips !