Khandvi is a popular Gujarati snack made with gram flour. It is quite easy to make and makes for a great teatime/evening snack. Make this Khandvi at home and kids will not ask for anything else.
Besan Flour – 1 cup
Turmeric Powder – 1/4 tsp
Buttermilk – 2 cup, thin
Oil – 2 tblsp
Salt as per taste
Coriander Leaves – 2 tblsp, chopped
Green Chillies – 4, chopped
Coconut – 2 tblsp, scrapped or grated
Curry Leaves – handful
Mustard Seeds – 1 tsp
Sesame Seeds – 2 tsp
Asafoetida – 1/4 tsp
Oil – 3 to 4 tsp
1. In a bowl, mix the besan, turmeric powder and salt.
2. Add enough water to make a batter.
3. Meanwhile heat oil in a heavy pan.
4. Add the besan batter and stir vigorously to prevent any lumps.
5. Keep stirring until cooked for about 7 to 8 minutes.
6. Take a ladleful of the batter and pour it onto a large plate and spread it evenly and thinly as possible.
7. Allow it to cool.
8. Once cooled, cut into 2 inch wide strips.
9. Roll each strip carefully and keep aside.
10. Sprinkle the chopped coriander and grated coconut on top.
11. Heat oil in a small pan.
12. Add the asafoetida, cumin seeds, curry leaves and chillies.
13. Fry for 10 seconds and add the sesame seeds.
14. Quickly stir and pour this over the rolls.
15. Serve at once with chutney of choice.