Paneer Butter Masala is one of the most popular paneer dishes. Typically served as a side dish to rotis, naans or pulaos, they are made with Paneer (Cottage Cheese) in a rich and creamy tomato gravy.
Paneer – 200 gms, cubed
Peas – 2 cups, shelled, boiled
Tomatoes – 4, finely chopped
Ginger – 2 tsp, grated
Coriander Seeds – 1 tsp, powdered
Turmeric Powder – 1/2 tsp
Sugar – 2 tsp
Red Chilli Powder – 2 tsp
Tamarind Extract – 4 tsp
Fresh Cream – 1 1/2 tblsp
Green Chillies – 5, finely chopped
Cumin Seeds – 1 tsp, powdered
Garam Masala Powder – 2 tsp
Oil – 5 to 6 tblsp
Butter – 1 to 2 tblsp, to garnish
1. Combine the ginger, green chillies, tamarind extract and tomato in a blender.
2. Blend to a puree and keep aside.
3. Heat a pan over medium flame.
4. Fry the paneer pieces with a pinch of salt and turmeric powder. Reserve.
5. Heat oil in a pan over medium flame.
6. Add the tomato puree and cook for a minute or two.
7. Add the turmeric powder, coriander powder, red chilli powder, cumin powder and garam masala powder.
8. Stir-fry until the oil starts to separate.
9. Reduce flame to low and cook.
10. Add the paneer pieces and pour 2 cups of water.
11. Add the green peas and cover the pan with a lid.
12. Simmer for a few minutes and remove from flame.
13. Garnish with coriander leaves and butter.
14. Serve as a side dish with roti or naan.